To create a non-taxable gift card/certificate follow the steps outlined below:
- Creating Gift Card/Gift Certificate Products
- Invoicing Gift Card/Gift Certificate Products
- Redeeming Gift Card/Gift Certificate Products
Creating Gift Card/Gift Certificate Products
Before you can recieve or invoice Gift Cards/Gift Certificates, you must first create a Product Master to hold your inventory.
- Navigate to SellTreez > Product Management
- Press the yellow + button in the lower right hand corner to create a new product & select Non-Inventory as the Product Type
- Populate the name of the product (i.e. Membership fee, Gift Card, etc.)
- Populate the price of the product
- Add a product barcode (Optional)
Invoicing Gift Card/Gift Certificate Products
Once you have a Gift Card/Gift Certificate Product Master created, you will need to receive the Gift Card/Gift Certificate inventory on a new Invoice.
- Navigate to SellTreez > Inventory > Purchasing
- Press the yellow + button to create a new invoice
- Populate Distributor
- Change Default Inventory Location to a sellable location (Critical)
- Click on yellow + button to add the product to invoice (find more information about invoices here)
- Find the product that you just created using the SEARCH BAR
- Select the product and add product to invoice
- Enter a base cost (Best Practice = $0, you may enter a value here to track the cost of the physical gift card or certificate itself, however)
- Enter Qty (Best Practice = Enter a high number so you don't run out of inventory i.e. 9999999)
- Press green Add X Products button in the bottom right corner of the page to add the Gift Card product to the invoice
- Accept the invoice
Redeeming Gift Card/Gift Certificate Products
Once you have Gift Cards/Gift Certificates received in inventory, you will need a way to redeem them when a consumer wants to use them. You have 2 options for Gift Card/Gift Certificate redemption.
Option 1 - Treez Rewards
If your organization is currently using the Treez Rewards loyalty program, you can more seamlessly redeem Gift Cards/Gift Certificates as rewards points when a consumer visits your dispensary to redeem their gift card.
NOTE: With this method, consumers do not need to spend the entire Gift Card/Gift certificate amount in a single transaction since the balance will remain on their customer profile.
- Ensure the consumer has a Treez Customer Profile set up in Customer Management, if not, be sure to create one for them.
- Navigate to Customer Management
- Scan the customers Identification or use the Search box to search for the customer profile manually
- Click the "Edit" button to the right of the customer name
- Once the profile is in Edit Mode, scroll to the "Rewards" section at the bottom of the profile and click "Edit"
- Add the Gift Card amount to the existing amount listed under "Current Dollar"s and click "Save"
- Scroll back to the top of the Customer Profile and click "Save & Back"
- The customers Gift Card/Gift Certificate has now been redeemed on their account and can be used to purchase goods
- At checkout, apply the customers rewards to their order.
NOTE: Redeeming Treez Reward will depend on how you have your Rewards setup currently:
- SellTreez: Redeeming Rewards Configured as a Payment
- SellTreez: Redeeming Rewards Configured as a Discount
Option 2 - Reusing an Unused Payment Type
If your organization does not currently use Treez Rewards, you will need to track the redemption of Gift Card/Gift Certificates using an available payment type. Best practice will be to use an unused payment type such as "Check".
NOTE: When using this method, it is best practice to require a consumer to use the entire amount on the Gift Card/Gift Certificate in a single purchase. If this is not or can not be required, remaining balances will need to be tracked outside of Treez.
TIP: When using this method, it is suggested that you clearly document in your records and with your Accounting professional that sales made under this payment type are actually Gift Cards/Gift Certificates.
- Enable the unused payment type by navigating to Configurations > Config Page > Point of Sale > Payment Types
- Inform your staff to use the newly enabled payment type when redeeming Gift Card/Gift Certificates.
- At the Point of Sale, use the payment type you have designated above to tender the transaction.