Whether you’re checking in a returning member or adding a new customer, Customer Management provides a seamless check-in and sign-up process that will keep patients coming back time and time again. It also allows staff to monitor your shop's customer queue and keep customer profiles up to date.
It is important to note the different definitions of customers and how their status should be configured in Customer > Customer Management. Please read the first 3 bullet points below before moving onto Adding new customers.
- What is an Adult Use Customer?
- What is a Medical Customer? - CA Only
- What is a Medical Customer with MMID?
- Adding New Customers
- Checking-In Returning Customers
- Editing and Renewing Members
- Customer Notes, Warnings, and Bans
- Viewing a Customer's Event History
- Customer Queue
Adult Use Customer
Adult Use or Recreational customers are defined by their state guidelines. Usually adult use and/or recreational is 21 and older. Configuring this in Customer > Customer Management requires the Adult Use toggle on.
Medical Customer - CA Only
Medical Customers are customers in California with a valid doctor's recommendation to use cannabis products but do NOT have a State Issued Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMID also known as MMIC). There are increased purchase limits, but they do not include medical state sales tax exemption. In Customer > Customer Management the Adult Use toggle is off and the State Medical ID toggle off. This is typically only used in California. It is required to enter the expiration date of the Dr. Recommendation which are usually valid in 1-year increments.
Medical with MMID
Medical with MMID is for customers who are registered with the state as medicinal cannabis users. This is used in any state where Medical Cannabis users are required to register with the state. In Customer > Customer Management the Adult Use is toggled off, and the State Medical ID is toggled on. The state issued ID card number is entered in state medical id field. Expiration date must also be entered into the customer profile. MMID does include medical state sales tax exemption.
Adding New Customers
Before a customer is able to make a purchase, they’ll need to sign-up and be verified with your collective.
To access the Customer Portal, navigate to Customer > Customer Management.
NOTE: If you are signing up a new patient in AZ, visit this article to learn how.
Step 1: Collect the doctor’s recommendation and/or valid form of ID — preferably a driver’s license — from the patient.
Step 2: Click Add to create a new member profile.
NOTE: Customer profiles that have recently been started or edited will populate above the ‘Customer Queue’. This means you can sign-up multiple new patients at once or check in existing patients without losing your progress. Once the edits have been ‘saved’, the customer names will disappear from the in-progress list and can be 'Checked-in' to be added to the 'Customer Queue'.
Step 3: Click Signup by Scanning Barcode and scan the barcode on the back of the new patient’s driver’s license with your barcode scanner.
- This will open the new customer's profile and auto-populate the ‘Member’ info and ‘Address of Record’.
- If the customer doesn’t have their driver’s license or the barcode is unreadable, you can manually create a new member profile by clicking Signup w/o a Driver’s License and following the prompts.
- Additional ‘Contact Info’ — such as an email, phone number, or an alternative address — can be manually entered at any time.
Step 4: If the customer is signing up with Medical status, place both the doctor’s recommendation and ID face down on the flatbed scanner, simultaneously. Then, click Capture Photo to scan the documents.
- The Treez system will automatically pull the photo from the driver’s license into the patient profile and save both documents in the ‘Document Uploads’ section.
- Click View to see the actual document uploaded in this section.
NOTE: If the patient doesn’t have their physical recommendation, they can e-mail it to you and you can manually upload it from your computer by selecting "New License Upload" or "New Misc Upload" from the ‘Document Uploads’ section.
Tip: Every time you complete a step in the signup process, a green checkmark will appear over the corresponding icon at the top of the profile.
Step 5: Verify the patient’s recommendation (if applicable) using the helpful ‘Evaluation Links’ at the bottom of the page.
Step 6: Toggle the customer’s ‘Caregiver License’ status on (if applicable) and enter the customer’s Caregiver ID number. When this is on, this customer’s name will be included as a selectable option on all other customer profiles in the ‘Caregiver’ section.
Step 7: Input the ID expiration date and recommendation's (if applicable) expiration date by clicking the Expiration Date icon and selecting the appropriate date from the calendar. Now, you can return both documents to the customer.
- Alternatively, you can type the date into the date field and press enter (either 11/30/2017 or 11302017 would work).
Step 8: Click the Collect Signature icon to send the membership agreement to the reception tablet where it will be reviewed and signed by the new patient. Email and/or phone numbers may be collected on this form as well.
- After the customer has signed the document, they may enter their email to receive a digital copy of the Member Agreement form or may simply click Done to complete their agreement.
NOTE: If your city or state requires you to record information on the physician who wrote the patient's medical recommendation you can enter that on the ‘Physician' card. (This information is not required everywhere.)
Step 9: If desired, add any additional information that’s applicable.
- Nickname: If the customer would like to be called by a nickname, enter their preferred name and it will be displayed on their profile as 'Firstname "Nickname" Lastname'.
- Gender: If the customer would prefer their gender recorded as something other than what’s on their ID, you can select from Male, Female, Non-Binary, or Unspecified.
- Notes: Any customer notes added to the profile will automatically be shared with your associates at the point of sale.
- Customer Group: If they qualify, select the appropriate lifetime discount groups they should be a part of. If the customer is a senior, they’ll automatically be added to the “senior” customer group when they reach the correct age, but this function can be disabled by request. There is no limit to the number of customer groups a person can be part of.
- Caregiver/Legal Rep: Select the patient’s caregiver (if applicable). If you need to scan additional documentation for the caregiver, use the ‘New Misc Upload’ link in the ‘Document Uploads’ section of the patient profile.
Note: Caregivers must have the ‘Caregiver License’ toggle on and their Caregiver ID number entered on their own profile to be included in this dropdown.
- Warnings: More likely to be affiliated with existing patients. (NOTE: If a patient is banned, they won’t be allowed to check in without a manager’s approval.)
Step 10: Click Save in the upper right-hand corner to save and complete the customer's profile. Once complete, customers can be checked-in to complete a purchase.
- If the customer would like to make a purchase, you can click Check-In on the top right and they'll be added to the Customer Queue.
Checking-In Returning Patients
Once a patient has been added to the Treez system, checking them in is as easy as scanning the barcode on the back of their license.
For transparency, when scanning the ID barcode in the customer Directory (not clicking into search bar) Treez uses the search logic to locate profiles as follows:
1. We look for any profiles with a matching Driver's License number. If 1 or more profiles are found, we will return all profiles with a matching DL.
2. If no DL matches are found, we will attempt to match on First Name, Last Name and DOB. We will return any profiles that match these 3 fields. It must match all 3, if DOB does not match, we will not return profiles based only on a first/last name match.
Protip: When scanning the back of a driver’s license, cover up the traditional 1D barcode at the top of (some) licenses for optimal read performance.
NOTE: If you are checking in a new patient in AZ, visit this article to learn how.
Step 1: To access the Customer Directory, navigate to the Customer tab, and select the ‘Customer Management’ view.
Step 2: Scan the 2D barcode on the back of the customer's ID using your barcode scanner. The customer's profile will automatically appear.
- If the barcode isn’t reading — or the customer forgot their ID — you can manually search for their profile by using the drop-down in the green ‘Search’ field.
- Select the information by which you want to search.
- Type the pertinent information into the search box and click the green button.
- Alternatively, you may use the ‘Directory’ option at the top of the page to view a complete list of all customer profiles.
Step 3: Click Check-In to add them to the Customer Queue.
NOTE: If you are checking in a caregiver who will be purchasing for their associated patients, check-in the caregiver first and their patient’s after. This order ensures the patients’ profiles will be nested under their caregiver in the customer queue.
Step 4: (Michigan only) Review the customer’s purchase limit displayed in the Purchase Allotment modal. The purchase limit is imported from Metrc for Medical patients, and default to the maximum legal daily limit for Adult-Use customers.
NOTE: You have the ability to lower the purchase allotment before check-in, if desired. For example, if a customer has purchased from a different dispensary that day, but that dispensary hasn’t yet reported the sale to Metrc, you can manually lower the customer’s purchase limit at your shop.
Editing and Renewing Members
Edits can be made to a customer's profile at any time by clicking Edit at the top of the page.
Renewing Medical Members
If a member’s recommendation is expired, you can use the ‘Scan MD Rec’ button to scan and upload the renewal.
Step 1: Place the document face down on the flatbed scanner.
Step 2: Click ‘Scan MD Rec’ to scan the document and automatically save it to the ‘Document Uploads’ card.
- If the patient doesn’t have their physical recommendation, you can upload it manually from your computer by clicking Edit and selecting ‘New Misc Upload’ from the ‘Document Uploads’ section.
- Clicking ‘View’ will allow you to see specific documents uploaded in this section.
Step 3: Enter the new expiration date, along with any additional outdated information.
Step 4: Verify the recommendation using the help ‘Evaluation Links’ at the bottom of the profile.
Step 5: When complete, click ‘Save & Back’.
Customer Notes, Warnings, and Bans
You can apply notes, warnings, or bans to a specific customer, by clicking into their profile and clicking Edit.
- Customer notes: Can be used for a number of things; To track patient preferences, to add details about warnings, etc.
- Warnings: There are two boxes available on each member's profile to add warnings. You may use the ‘Notes’ section to elaborate on the nature of these warnings.
- Bans: A checkbox is available to ban a member. If you go to check in a banned member, you’ll be notified by a pop-up.
NOTE: Bans can be removed by unchecking the ban box but can be overridden temporarily with a Manager Override PIN.
Viewing a Customer’s Event History
For each customer, Treez will record a history of their check-in’s, transactions, profile edits, and more.
Step 1: To access a customer’s event history, navigate to the Customer > Customer Management.
Step 2: Locate the desired customer by searching for their information in the Directory and click on their profile to open it.
Step 3: Scroll down to the bottom of their profile and tap on the Event History dropdown to reveal a list of historical events linked to this customer. For accountability purposes, we’ll also note which employee performed each action.
For dispensaries that have Rewards Points enabled, these will display at the bottom of each member’s profile. Reward configurations can be set in Configuration > Config Page > Discounts and Rewards > Rewards.
Updating Rewards Points
A customer's rewards points can be adjusted manually with a manager’s PIN.
Step 1: Navigate to the proper customer profile and click Edit at the top of the page.
Step 2: Scroll to the bottom of the profile and click Edit on the ‘Rewards Points’ card.
Step 3: Enter your manager PIN, tap Ok and adjust the rewards points to reflect the correct total.
Step 4: Once complete, click Save & Back to save your edits.
The Customer Queue reflects all customers that are currently in the building — both those that have been checked in and are waiting to be served, and those that are new and in the process of being signed up.
- Customers waiting to be served will appear with a photo in the queue along with information about their membership and current wait time.
- New customers who are being signed up, will appear above the active queue and be preceded by the words "New Customer".
Editing the Customer Queue
Patients will be added to the queue in the order they check-in.
- To rearrange the Customer Queue, select the customer photo and drag to a new location in the queue.
- To remove a customer from the queue, click the ‘X’ in the top right corner of their photo.
Clearing the Customer Queue
If you want to clear the entire Customer Queue with the click of a button, you'll first need to ensure the configuration is enabled.
Step 1: Navigate to Configurations > Config Page > Customer Management.
Step 2: Click the Customer Sign Up card to expand it > toggle the Show Clear Queue button at Intake option.
In Customer Management, you will now see a trash icon at the top of your customer queue which you can click to clear all customers.
SellTreez: What do the green and red customer icons mean in SellTreez?
SellTreez: Unsupported Identification Documents
Article is closed for comments.